Marine Scotland is the directorate of Scottish Government (SG) responsible for marine and fisheries issues in Scotland.
Its purpose is to manage Scotland's seas for prosperity and environmental sustainability and for Scotland, this means supporting:
- 61 per cent of the UK sea area
- a fishing & aquaculture industry worth over £1 billion
- over 6,500 species of marine plants and animals
- 50,000 jobs in the marine industry
- up to 25 per cent of Europe's tidal & offshore wind power and 10% of its wave power