The Scottish Rural Development Programme (SRDP) for Scotland 2007-2013 is required to have a Programme Monitoring Committee (PMC) which should "satisfy itself as to the effectiveness of the implementation of the programme, i.e. the design and delivery of the SRDP". The PMC in conjunction with the Managing Authority, which is the Rural Directorate, oversees the effective implementation of the 2007-13 SRDP. It is chaired by a senior representative of the Scottish Executive and requires representation on the Committee from:
- organisations of economic and social partners;
- competent regional, local and other public authorities;
- other appropriate bodies representing civil society and non-government organisations including those responsible for environmental protection and enhancement and bodies responsible for promoting fairness and equality between different groups in society;
- the Structural Funds and Fisheries programmes to ensure effective coordination between the SRDP and these programmes;
- the European Commission in an advisory capacity.
The Monitoring Committee also maintains systematic links with the regional network of bodies set up by the Scottish Executive to determine priorities for the SRDP and to assess applications for funding under the programme (see Chapter 11). In particular, the Committee liaises closely with the National Project Assessment Committee.
The PMC operates under Terms of Reference which were revised by the Committee to make them more transparent and meaningful. The original terms of reference were taken directly from EU legislation which fixes the Committee's role. The revised Terms of Reference include:
- Consideration of the processes and methods used to assess applications to competitive schemes within the SRDP;
- Reviewing regularly programme monitoring data;
- Evaluating expenditure offered through the programme, in particular to see whether targets and outcomes are being met;
- Approving an annual monitoring report to the European Commission;
- Proposing adjustments to the SRDP to ensure that it meets its objectives and is well managed and delivered; and
- Considering proposed amendments to the balance of funding between axes of the programme.
The organisations represented on the PMC for the Scottish Programme are shown below in the table; this membership may change over the lifetime of the Programme.
Members of the Programme Monitoring Committee
Confederation of Forestry
Council of Scottish Local Authorities
Forestry Commission Scotland
Highlands and Islands Enterprise Board
National Farmers Union of Scotland
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
Rural Directorate (Chair)
Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations
Scottish Crofting Foundation
Scottish Environmental Protection Agency
Scottish Natural Heritage
Scottish Rural Property and Business Association
Scottish Tenant Farmers Association
For further details about the PMC, please see Chapter 12, 12.2 of the Programme Document.