High Level Summary of Statistics Trend Last update: Friday, September 23, 2011
See also Active Travel
- 35% of households had access to at least one bicycle in 2009, an increase of 4 percentage points since 1999 1.
- The percentage of households with access to a bicycle varies with household type with families and large adult households the most likely to have access to a bicycle (50 - 65%) and single pensioners the least likely to have access to a bicycle (7%) 1.
Frequency of cycling
- 3.9% of adults (16+) cycled on at least one day in the last 7 days as a means of transport 2.
- 4.7% of adults (16+) cycled on at least one day in the last 7 days just for pleasure or to keep fit 2.
On average people make 10 trips per year by bicycle, travelling on average 30 miles per person per year (out of a total of 7,056 miles) 3.
Travel to work
- 2% of people in employment travel to work by bicycle 4.
- 4% of men in employment cycle compared to 1% of women 4.
Travel to school
- 1% of children cycle to school 5.
Transport Scotland / Scottish Government Statistics
Other Transport Scotland pages
- Cycling Scotland
- Sustrans produce some statistics on cycling in Scotland including the Hands Up survey of school children asking about travel to school
1. SHS - Household Transport 2009, Table 23
2. SHS Local Authority results - Table 10
3. NTS from STS - Table 11.1 and table 11.3
4. SHS 2009 - STS table 11.18
5. SHS 2009 - STS table 11.19 and similar figure in NTS