The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, Rio+20 marks the 20th anniversary of the 1992 UN Conference on Environment and Development and the 10th anniversary of the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg.
The UN objectives for Rio+20 are:
- a high-level conference producing a focussed political document;
- renewed political commitment;
- assess progress and gaps in implementation;
- address new and emerging challenges.
The UN has said the conference should include 2 themes:
- a green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication;
- the institutional framework for sustainable development.
Further information on the UN website: http://www.uncsd2012.org/