These pages give links and contact numbers for organisations which can give more detailed advice.
Rent Service Scotland
The Scottish Government's Rent Service Scotland has three main functions:
- gathering market evidence on rents to set local housing allowances (LHA);
- providing valuations for tenants and landlords for fair rent registrations - that is, a rent level set by rental valuation officers based on a range of information about the property; and
- calculating the level of housing benefit subsidy that local authorities receive from central government.
2nd Floor Endeavour House
Dundee DD1 4QB
Telephone: 01382 427555. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 01382-427527
Hours of business: Monday-Thursday: 9am to 4.30pm Friday: 9am to 4pm
Advice on housing issues
Check the contacts list to find organisations in your local authority area. To find your nearest Citizens' Advice Bureau, use the Citizens Advice Scotland website.
- Local authorities can provide advice on housing issues, and operate the HMO licensing system. They may also publish newsletters or operate forums for private landlords.
- Citizens' Advice Bureaux and Law Centres can give specific advice on your individual situation, and may be able to help you take action to deal with problems.
- Student Accommodation or Welfare Services can provide advice to students on private renting issues. They usually also keep lists of private rented accommodation available, and may provide guidance or information to landlords in connection with this.
Shelterline 0808 800 4444 provides a free, confidential advice line, 24 hours a day.
Shelter also provides more advice online
The Scottish Council for Single Homeless produces a guide to leaving home and housing for young people in Scotland.
Landlord organisations or a reputable letting agent can give you advice on letting your property. See Top Performance for contact details.
If you do not use an agent, it is advisable to consult a solicitor before letting any property.
Publications and Leaflets
Useful Scottish Government publications for landlords and tenants: