1. Development was excluded from the scope of this research study
2. This tool is part of the wider reform programme and sits within the Policy, Strategy and Systems Division of The Scottish Procurement and Commercial Directorate.
4. See section 4.2.3
5. See Appendix 4 for details of sample LAHDs interviewed.
6. Many DLOs have been the subject of internal review and assessment to gauge value for money and in some instances, this had led to whole or part of the service being externalised; however, in our experience, there is a more recent trend to bring services back in house based on more modern working practices.
7. See Appendix 4 for details of sample HAs interviewed.
8. See Appendix 4 for details of sample HAs interviewed.
9. See Appendix 4 for details of sample HAs interviewed.
10. During our interviews, the highest ratio in favour of price over quality was 70:30
11. This review does not cover development procurement
13. Checked with a number of HA finance managers/directors
14. See Appendix 4 for details
15. Better Buys Improving Housing Association Procurement Practice, Audit Commission, Feb 2008
16. See Appendix 2 for the exact scores of each factor
17. See Appendix 3 for complete SWOT analysis
18. It should be noted that wherever reference is made to frameworks that have been established under UK law (as opposed to the law of Scotland), the few, but nevertheless significant distinctions between the different legal systems should be acknowledged. Technically a Scottish based HA procuring work to be carried out in Scotland, through a UK framework, should be procuring under the terms of the law of Scotland.
20. In our interview sample of HAs, 64% reported not using existing procurement frameworks
21. In our questionnaire, 64% of respondents judges that their HA/ LAHD viewed procurement strategically
22. In our questionnaire, 61% of respondents reported as having some form of collaboration
23. 92% of questionnaire responses to reasons for collaboration mentioned cost savings.
24. See Appendix 2 for the question set
25. Some organisations completed the survey more than once
26. Multiple choices were available so answers will add up to more than 100%
27. It should be noted that collaboration and the use of frameworks are not mutually exclusive and whilst the best practice case studies above show examples of collaboration best practice and framework best practice, some also show examples of where organisations do both.
28. Advanced Procurement for Universities and Colleges, www.apuc-scot.gov.uk
29. The questionnaire response on funding showed that 43% of respondents would be willing to pay for some form of central procurement unit.
30. A * indicates member of the Research Advisory Group ( RAG) which also included: Nigel Hicks (Dunedin Canmore); Ed Ross ( SG); Sandy Watson ( SG); and David Stewart ( SFHA).