TRANSPORT STATISTICS PUBLICATIONS PRODUCED BY OTHER ADMINISTRATIONS
The Department for Transport (DfT) produces many statistical publications, most of which provide detailed breakdowns of the figures for GB/ UK as a whole. However, some contain statistics for Scotland.
DfT's annual Regional Transport Statistics bulletin gives figures on many topics for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and each of the regions of England. It should be the "first port of call" for anyone who wishes to compare any figures for transport in Scotland with those for some or all of the other parts of GB/ UK.
Other DfT publications include some figures for Scotland, such as Transport Statistics Great Britain (which, like Scottish Transport Statistics, contains figures on many different aspects of Transport), Maritime Statistics, Public Transport Statistics, and Road Casualties Great Britain. Further information about DfT Transport Statistics publications is available via: www.dft.gov.uk/transtat
The Welsh Assembly Government produces various publications which contain statistics on transport in Wales, in particular Welsh Transport Statistics. More information is available via: http://new.wales.gov.uk
The statistical publications produced in Northern Ireland include Northern Ireland Transport Statistics. More information is available via: www.drdni.gov.uk/index/statistics.htm
TRANSPORT STATISTICS USERS' GROUP
The Transport Statistics Users' Group ( TSUG) was set up in 1985 as a result of an initiative by the Statistics Users Council and The Institute of Logistics and Transport (then known as The Chartered Institute of Transport). From its inception, TSUG has had strong links with government departments responsible for transport statistics.
The aims of TSUG are:
- to identify problems in the provision and understanding of transport statistics, and to discuss solutions with the responsible authorities;
- to provide a forum for the exchange of views and information between users and providers;
- to encourage the proper use of statistics through publicity and education.
The main activities of TSUG are:
- The production of a Newsletter containing reviews of recently published transport statistics, which is sent to members about four times per year.
- The organisation of Seminars addressing contemporary issues in the field of transport statistics. Most seminars are held in London, but there is an annual seminar in Edinburgh and other ad hoc regional seminars. Reports of seminars appear in the Newsletter.
- The production of the Transport Yearbook, an easy-to-use but comprehensive reference guide to major UK transport organisations, sources of transport statistics and other important UK and international contacts. A copy of the Yearbook is sent to all members.
The membership of TSUG includes government agencies, local authorities, trade associations, transport consultants, transport operators and universities, as well as individual professionals. Corporate membership of the Group is £50, personal membership £22.50, and student membership £10. For further information about TSUG and membership, please visit the website at www.tsug.org.uk or contact:
Nina Webster London Underground Ltd.
C/o Strategy and Service Development
Transport for London
Room 494 (4th Floor)
London SW1H 0BD
Tel: 020 7027 8340
Fax: 020 7918 4580
TSUGRepresentative for Scotland
Dr Jock Robertson
Tel: 01529 497354
Mobile: 07712 750658