Section E: Labelling imported and exported beef with non-compulsory information
1. How do you label beef imported from other European Union ( EU) member states with non-compulsory information?
If you want to label beef imported from another EU country with information other than the compulsory information needed, you may need to send an application to the authorities of the country in which the beef is produced or sold. Please contact the beef labelling section for advice on how to proceed.
If you need to send an application to the authorities of that country, you will need to say what information you want to include on the label and explain the measures you will take to make sure the information is accurate. This should include the traceability system which would be applied at all stages of production and sale, and would also cover the handling or processing of the fresh or frozen beef and veal that takes place in that country. You would then only be able to label this beef in the UK once each country had approved your application.
Simpler rules apply if you are importing beef in small retail packs labelled in one member state according to an approved specification, where no extra information is added to the label. Labels only need to be approved by the exporting country, and the meat can be sold in the UK without further approval from us as long as:
- the packaging has not been changed in any way;
- the originating member state has given us all the information we need; and
- the approval of the originating member state also covers the labelling of the retail package sold here.
2. How do you label beef imported from outside the European Union ( EU) with non-compulsory information?
You may only label beef with other information that the European Commission has given permission for the non- EU country to use. If you want to label beef imported from a non- EU country with non-compulsory information ( section B), please contact the Beef Labelling Section for advice on how to proceed.
3. How do you label beef to export to other European Union ( EU) countries?
If you want to export beef to another EU country, you must follow the rules and all export legislation in force at the time.
For non-compulsory labelling of beef for export, the same rules as for imported beef apply.