2.1 This bulletin describes some of main transport trends in Scotland and includes some comparisons with Great Britain. The tables provide:
- modal trends in Scotland over the past ten years - Tables S1 and S2;
- Scottish Household Survey trends, 1999 onwards - Table S3;
- cross-border transport trends over the past ten years - Table S4;
- Scotland and GB (or the UK) comparisons - Tables SGB1 to SGB3; and
- longer-term trends in some statistics, for Scotland - Tables H1 to H4.
Commentary, points appear under four broad themes:
- motor vehicles, traffic and road casualties;
- public transport: bus, rail, air and ferry;
- personal travel (e.g. driving, walking and cycling; travel to work and school);
2.3 This bulletin's purpose is to show some of the main trends in transport in Scotland. More statistics are available online, in updated versions of Scottish Transport Statistics tables: www.scotland.gov.uk/transtat/stsupdate.
2.4 Definitions of the statistics can be found in the chapters of Scottish Transport Statisticshttp://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/12/14120610/0. In addition to these, occasionally Great Britain (or the UK) figures are on a different basis from Scotland figures.
2.5 Scottish Transport Statistics will be published in December 2008 which will contain a comprehensive statistical picture of transport statistics in Scotland. This bulletin presents a summary of the main trends in advance.
2.6 This bulletin is published in conjunction with the Key Transport Statistics pocket size card.
Figure 1: Vehicles licensed