1) The BMW data for 2001-2005 are for financial years. To calculate the BMW in the years before 2003/2004, it has been assumed that 63% of the waste landfilled was biodegradable. A mass balance calculation, assuming 63% of waste arisings are biodegradable, has been used to provide the data for 2003/2004 and 2004/2005.
2) The total to landfill from all sources.
3) The definition of municipal waste has changed slightly over the time period in which these data have been collected.
4) The definition of municipal waste at present is all waste collected by or on behalf of local authorities, excluding road maintenance wastes and end-of-life vehicles, separately collected construction and demolition wastes and industrial waste.
5) Scottish Environment Protection Agency (2003). National Waste Plan.
6) The survey method changed from a survey of adults to a survey of households from the second quarter of 2003. The 2003 data used is from quarters 2, 3 and 4 only.
7) The Scottish Household Survey is a continuous cross-sectional survey based on a sample of the population in private residences in Scotland.