This summary is taken from the findings of the phone poll of planning authorities, in which 18 participated.
EXAMPLES OF GOOD PRACTICE/ISSUES
- Multiple task-oriented workshops with public/professionals;
- Parallel structure and local plan consultation to emphasise links;
- Training with community forums/pack provided enabling community councils to run consultation exercise;
- Officer prepared consultative draft (unapproved);
- Interactive web site (DPs)
Argyll & Bute
- Area focus - 6 administrative areas each with all purpose committee;
- Planning surgeries; use of Post Offices
- IT - forms can be downloaded from web site;
- Best Value - questionnaires/surveys; DC user groups
- 'Mini' training exercise with Planning Aid
- Planning surgeries; objectors can speak at committee/procedure notes;
- Involved in Clear Project on joint structure plan;
- Area Forums - public can raise issues and used to get feedback on early drafts;
- Best value - 'Servequal' as part of DC review;
- Youth Congress - Development plans/transport.
Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
- Planning for Real around Port of Entry Enhancement with Enterprise Company;
- Stepping Stones project - early Community Planning initiative around community needs;
- Establishment of Development Companies (with places for community) to implement Plans (e.g. via landfill tax);
- Development plans - mail drop/workshops hosted by CCs;
- Public meetings around major proposals e.g. causeway links to promote awareness early on involving developers or council as developers;
- e-mails weekly lists.
- Business seminar on development plan;
- Involved in Clear Project;
- Floating Open Forum.
- Pilot project in Tranent and Ormiston/NOORD;
- MAATCHED Project with young people/Youth Parliament reactivated;
- Annual consultative forum with CCs;
- Moving towards council-wide service standards (Environmental Health pilot surveys);
- IT - UK Planning online pilot; IT audit;
- Objectors can request/speak at site visits.
- Conservation Area Character Appraisals - community ownership;
- IT partnership with BT/aerial photography;
- Service Charters developed with customer focus groups;
- Best practice packs for staff on public interface.
- Development plans - Planning for Real on structure plan;
- Area forums used for consultation (including planning);
- Consulted on Planning Briefs (e.g. around hospital site) leading to Master Plan including workshops;
- Considering Building Quality forum building upon best value consultations;
- Links with LA21 via Community Planning/extensive involvement in Biodiversity Action Plans.
- Development plan - Prize draw; Planning for Real;
- Decentralised to area level;
- Hearings if development is contrary to development plan;
- Best Value - customer focus groups/surveys; Customer Quality Charter;
- Proposed community forums
- Link to Community Planning.
- Design-based Master Planning (computer modelling & CD Rom public exhibition);
- Use of citizen panel to establish heritage/design priorities;
- Development plan on web/CD Rom;
- Development control - regular meetings with key stakeholders/'Scotlis' project (IT);
- Best Value - surveys/focus groups;
- Links with SIPs/Local Housing Partnerships;
- New neighbourhoods - community-led working groups.
- Development plans - Planning for Real (11 public meetings/ 26 local surgeries/ 2 additional meetings) including primary schools; usability questionnaire sent out with Plan; use of alternative venues e.g. Airport; media coverage;
- Award for youth involvement in structure plan;
- Organised public consultation around Scottish Executive Consultation exercises;
- IT initiatives including 'Thinknet' (interactive around issues);
- Use of hearings system;
- Area committee system with substantial delegation;
- Pilot partnership arrangements for Community Planning (from the bottom up);
- Best Value - Customer 'phone poll.
- Development plans - video/slides/workshops (3-year process); use of consultants/in-house staff;
- Community forums to be set up.
- Development plans - moved to workshop approach; ran structure plan and local plan processes together;
- Plans on web;
- Council-wide initiative on Community Planning but geared to agencies
- Development plan - CD Rom Plans;
- Established links with Schools;
- Neighbour notification on development plan;
- Link with SIPs;
- Development plans - planners working way round 70 communities;
- DC - delegation to area committees
- Development plans - Household mail-shot of easy to read version/questionnaire;
- Workshops and Planning for Real on issues e.g. housing growth;
- Youth forum - workshops and planning for real on issues;
- Stirling Assembly - workshops and planning for real on issues;
- Development control - weekly recommendations on the web with councillors/officers (& public indirectly) requesting items on agenda;
- IT initiatives;
- Enhanced role for CCs (e.g. organising public meetings/involving excluded groups/training).
- Development plan - offered to visit community councils but only 2/3 took up offer; Plan on web;
- Development control - clear procedures for requests to be heard at committee;
- Experimented with area committees but still evolving.
- Development plan - workshops with Planning Aid;
- IT - moving to interactive;
- Identified need for Consultation Strategy;
- Development Briefs - already notify neighbours;
- Structured consultation around Community Planning areas to ensure consistency/avoid overload.