News

Listen

Public Sector Employment in Scotland - first quarter 2012

20/06/2012

Scotland’s Chief Statistician today published statistics on Public Sector Employment in Scotland. The publication provides statistics up to Quarter 1 (Q1) of 2012 and covers all of the public sector as defined by UK National Accounts.  Distinctions are made for employment in devolved public sector bodies which are the responsibility of the Scottish Government or Scottish Parliament, and employment in reserved public sector bodies for which the UK Government is responsible.  

Some of the main findings from Quarter 1 2012 are:

In Q1 2012, there were 584,800 people employed in the public sector in Scotland, a decrease of 27,600 (4.5 per cent) since Q1 2011.  It is important to note that in Q1 2011 6,700 temporary staff were in public sector employment (to carry out the census) and this contributes to the decrease.

Total public sector employment currently accounts for 23.8% per cent of total employment in Scotland. This has decreased from 24.8 per cent in Q1 2011 and from 24.5 per cent in Q1 1999 (In 1999 financial institutions were not included in the public sector).

Public sector employment excluding public sector financial institutions accounts for 22.5 per cent of total employment.

Of the total 584,800 people employed in the public sector,  491,100 (84 per cent) work in public bodies devolved to Scotland. The remaining 93,700 (16 per cent) work in public bodies which are the responsibility of the UK Government.  

Over the year to Q1 2012, employment in public bodies devolved to Scotland has decreased by 21,700 (4.2 per cent).

During the same time employment in public bodies which are the responsibility of the UK Government has decreased by 5,900 (5.9 per cent).  

In addition to the National Statistics publication there is also a  Public Sector Employment Statistics websection containing:

Information on local government employment for Scotland and by Local Authority.

Detailed tables showing a full-time series – all quarters back to Q1 1999 – are also available to download from the websection.

The tables within the National Statistics publication include estimates for Q1 1999 and Q1 in recent years (2006-2012).  The data is not seasonally adjusted so comparisons should only be made with the same quarter across years.

The full National Statistics publication can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/stats/bulletins/00981

Further information on Labour Market statistics within Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market

Official statistics are produced by professionally independent statistical staff – more information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/About

Devolved public bodies refer to public bodies which are the responsibility of the Scottish Government or Scottish Parliament. This includes the core Scottish Government and Agencies, Non-Ministerial Departments Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services, NHS, Non-Departmental Public Bodies, Public Corporations, Ombudsmen and Commissioners and other significant national bodies.