Legionnaires' outbreak update
The latest reports on the Edinburgh Legionnaires’ outbreak show no further suspected or confirmed cases of the disease.
This means the total number of confirmed cases remains at 42 and the total number of suspected cases remains at 47.
The total number of overall cases is 89.
At noon today, of those cases being treated in hospital, seven are in intensive care, down from a high of 15 last Sunday, and 17 are on general wards.
A total of 18 cases are being treated in the community, 38 have been discharged from hospital and following confirmation of an additional death earlier this week, two people have sadly died.
Seven cases are being treated outwith the NHS Lothian area. The ages of the confirmed cases ranges between 33 and 81, with more males than females affected.
NHS 24 has now received 936 calls to the dedicated helpline for Legionnaires’ disease.
The Health and Safety Executive and Edinburgh City Council are continuing their investigations into the possible source of the outbreak.
Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said:
"The number of cases involved in the outbreak remains static and this is further evidence that the outbreak has reached its peak.
"NHS Lothian are continuing to maintain high quality care for patients who remain unwell.
"For anyone who is concerned about the outbreak, the NHS 24 dedicated legionnaires’ helpline will remain open throughout the weekend and can be reached on 0800 0858 531."
Dr Duncan McCormick, Consultant in Public Health, NHS Lothian, said:
"I am pleased to see that once again the total numbers of patients with Legionnaire's disease remain unchanged. It is also very enouraging to see that two more patients have recovered and been discharged home in the last 24 hours.
"This reflects the hard work and quality ongoing care being provided by staff across NHS Lothian."