Student Awards in Scotland 2006-07
Scotland's Chief Statistician today published statistics on Student Awards In Scotland 2006-07 providing information on support supplied by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) to higher education students at Scotland's higher education institutions and elsewhere covering the period 2001-02 to 2006-07.
The figures supersede those published by Scotland's Chief Statistician in December 2006.
Students Awards in Scotland 2006-07
The main findings from 2006-07 are:
- The level of support administered by SAAS increased by 4.1 per cent in the latest year to #441 million
- In 2006-07 awards increased by 3.1 per cent, fee payments increased by 15.2 per cent and the value of loan authorisations decreased by 3.1 per cent
- In 2006-07, 74 per cent of students who received SAAS support were studying for a first degree. This is consistent with previous years
- The number of EU students receiving support from SAAS has increased by 81.4per cent to 7,383 over the period from 2001-02 to 2006-07
- In 2006-07 fee payments totalled 152 million, an increase of 15.2 per cent on the 2005-06 figure. This increase is mainly as a result of a rise in fee rates paid to colleges and universities for new students
- Within award payments, the value of awards specifically targeted to young students, students with dependents and students with disabilities saw an increase of 1.9 per cent in 2006-07. This is a lesser increase compared to previous years
This is a National Statistics publication. National Statistics are produced to high professional standards set out in the National Statistics Code of Practice. They undergo regular quality assurance reviews to ensure that they meet customer needs. They are produced free from any political interference.