This item was published during the term of a previous administration that ended in April 2007
St Andrews Day celebrations
The celebrations for St Andrew's Day 2006 will be jointly hosted by four Scottish cities and involve thousands of young people across Scotland, it was announced today.
Events will be held in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Stirling following the First Minister's pledge to raise awareness of and encourage involvement in the celebration of St Andrew's Day on November 30.
St Andrew's Day will be celebrated throughout the world by British embassies, societies and the Scottish Diaspora.
The events supported by the Executive for this St Andrew's Day include:
- One Scotland Ceilidh and city centre party supported by music artists such as Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain and Shooglenifty.
- Ceilidh on Ice at George Square with traditional live musicians including Amy McDonald and Punjabi No 1.
- Live music and dancing in Port Street featuring Stirling Highland Dancers.
- Filming in Falcon Square of local communities flying the flag for Scotland and celebrating the cultural diversity of the region with live music from local band Schiehallion.
Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform Tom McCabe said:
"This year promises to be the biggest celebration of St Andrew's Day yet. For the first time we have four of Scotland's largest cities spearheading the international celebration of the anniversary.
"The First Minister has made clear our support for events which mark this special day and allow people to celebrate our achievements and hopes for Scotland.
"Young people will be central to the celebrations with events planned in schools across the country. Pupils and teachers have worked together on a range of events from whole school ceilidhs and special assemblies to St Andrew's Day concerts and Taste of Scotland lunches.
"It is paramount that our pupils, Scotland's future generations, have the opportunity to celebrate their successes and contribution to a modern and culturally diverse Scotland on our national day.
"This year's programme is bigger and better than previous years. Not only do we have the four national events, we have our First Secretaries in Beijing and Washington hosting receptions. We also have embassies in around 70 countries flying the saltire or hosting balls, ceilidhs or receptions for St Andrew's Day.
"We want to achieve national and international recognition for Scotland on this important day."
Communities Minister Malcolm Chisholm said:
"St Andrew's Day is Scotland's Day and again we will be celebrating Scotland's modern society. Scotland is a place where we can all benefit from a diversity of cultures, religions and backgrounds. The contribution of everyone should be valued and the events taking place on St Andrew's Day will remind us again of how rich our cultural influences are here in Scotland.
"The One Scotland Ceilidh, as last year's event showed, provides a great way for people to come together, on a day that people of all generations will share. I know that young people will be using their creativity to learn about St Andrew's Day and their communities in classrooms and homes across the country and the public events will be a great way to celebrate One Scotland."
Ministers will be involved in a number of events around St Andrew's Day. Details will be released next week.
There are a number of other events including the St Andrew's Day Anti Racism March in Glasgow and the St Andrew's Day Rally in Edinburgh.
More information about St Andrew's Day events around Scotland
More information on what Scotland's schools have organised for St Andrew's Day
Embassies worldwide will be hosting events to celebrate St Andrew's Day, including:
- Helsinki Finland -School children visiting the embassy to learn about St Andrew's Day
- Prague - The saltire will be flown at the Embassy and support provided to the Caledonian Ball
- Florence - St Andrew's Day Ball
- UK - reception dinner using Scottish ingredients.
- Paris - hosting event to celebrate St Andrew's Day.
- Bulgaria - The British community in Sofia will host St Andrew's Day ball
- Bratislava - promotional displays for Scotland to be held in Embassy and local schools
- Bucharest, Romania -liaising with local media reporting on St Andrew's Day
- Slovenian-Scottish Friendship Society- hosting event for 250 people including the mayor of Ljubljana, the Provost of North Ayrshire, Scottish pipers, Slovenian businessmen with actors reciting Burns and Preseren in English and in Slovene.
- Bavaria, Germany - working on series of events promoting tourism to Scotland
- Dublin - displaying promotional stand for Scotland
- Croatia - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Den Haag, the Netherlands - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Tirana, Albania - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Moscow, Russia - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Berne, Switzerland - St Andrew's Day ceilidh with whisky and salmon tasting
- Hungary - St Andrew's Day ball in Bucharest with around 120 guests
- Caracas, Venezuela - St Andrew's Day ball
- Ottawa - the Saltire will be flown outside Embassy
- Chicago - hosting event with the Illinois St Andrew Society to celebrate St Andrew's Day
- Brazil - boat trip to celebrate St Andrew's Day
- Montevideo, Uruguay - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Houston - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- South Africa - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Tripoli, Libya - St Andrew's Day ball
- Lusaka, Zambia - St Andrew's Day ball
- Khartoum, Sudan - St Andrew's Day ball
- Cairo, Egypt - St Andrew's Day ball
- Abuja, Nigeria - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- The Gambia - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- The Seychelles - hosting event to promote St Andrew's Day
- Ankara, Turkey - The Ankara Caledonian Society will be hosting a St Andrew's Ball
- Brunei - hosting St Andrew's Day Ball
- Sri Lanka - a reception will be hosted and visits have been organised for local schools to raise awareness of Scotland and devolution
- Tashkent, Uzbekistan - The saltire will be flown at the Embassy and a reception will be hosted.