A flourishing and sustainable economy is the cornerstone of a wealthier and fairer nation. Through the generation and effective use of resources at national, local and personal levels, Scotland can achieve significant improvements in the quality of our public services and in the quality of people's lives.
The Government Economic Strategy describes how the Purpose will be delivered and sets new ambitious targets for increasing sustainable economic growth. The focus of the Strategy is on broadening comparative advantage through: the alignment of investment in learning and skills with other key priorities; a supportive business environment; investment in infrastructure and place; effective government; and greater equity.
Local government, through the key public services it delivers directly and through its leadership role within Community Planning Partnerships, will have a vital role in helping to secure a wealthier and fairer Scotland. That is why we place substantial emphasis on creating a closer and more effective partnership between national and local government that can work collaboratively with the private, academic and Third Sectors* as well as other public bodies in pursuit of increasing sustainable economic growth.
Economic growth on its own does not give a complete picture of the success of a nation. The benefits of a wealthier Scotland need to be shared fairly among the entire population. We also need to ensure that future generations can enjoy a better quality of life. Unlocking the social, educational and economic potential of every person in Scotland will lift society as a whole, making Scotland smarter, safer and stronger, healthier and, ultimately, wealthier and fairer.
- Note: The Third Sector includes charities, voluntary and volunteering organisations, faith organisations, co-operatives and mutual societies and social enterprises.
Wealthier and Fairer Outcomes
We aim to deliver a Wealthier and Fairer Scotland through all 16 national outcomes, with a focus on the following:
- We live in a Scotland that is the most attractive place for doing business in Europe
- We realise our full economic potential with more and better employment opportunities for our people
- We take pride in a strong, fair and inclusive national identity
- Our public services are high quality, continually improving, efficient and responsive to local people's needs