This Bill will provide a legal basis to underpin aspects of our wide-ranging reforms to improve the way the post-16 learning system supports jobs and economic growth and helps young people meet their ambitions.
The Bill will build on progress already made, such as the announcement of thirteen college regions to increase focus on the regional and local economic need, the introduction of a guaranteed place in learning or training for every 16-19 year old through Opportunities for All, and the planned introduction of the best package of student support in the UK next year.
The Bill will include measures in relation to:
- Widening access to higher education with a view to increasing the number of young people from deprived backgrounds who go on to study at degree level
- Supporting the delivery of Opportunities for All – our guarantee of a place in learning or training for all 16-19 year olds - by ensuring that young people who disengage from, or are at risk of disengaging from, learning or training can be provided with appropriate support
- Progressing the creation of 13 strong college groupings of scale, able to plan regionally and deliver across all of Scotland
- Ensuring that the structure of, and provision in, universities and colleges remains fit for purpose
- Capping the level of higher education tuition fees which Scottish institutions can charge students from the rest of the UK.