The Government uses a range of communication tools to ensure its policies are open and accessible. These include Ministerial announcements, advertising campaigns, and a regularly updated website.
The Communications Team aims to ensure that people understand how the policies, decisions and objectives of the Scottish Government affect them. It also helps those devising and implementing Government policy to recognise the importance of good communications in their daily work. The Directorate covers four main areas:
- Corporate Communications
- Media Relations
- Digital Communications: Website and Intranet
To ensure that the policies and purpose of the SG are well understood by its external audiences, employees and contractors; that communication makes its full contribution to the formulation, implementation and success of Government policy, and that all the people working for the Government appreciate the value of what they do, and understand why it matters.
- To provide expert strategic and tactical communications advice and services in line with best practice in Government Communications, demonstrably informed by insight, knowledge and research, and integrated to cover all communication channels and methods
- To increase and consolidate professional communications and administration skills, with opportunities for everyone to develop and enhance their own skills and experience
- To deliver integrated and robust communications planning and implementation, linked to the Government's Purpose, programme and priorities
- To develop the planning and delivery of our corporate and internal communications activities
- To work with policy Directorates to reflect the value, effectiveness and significance of communications in their plans
- To deliver accountable, sound and transparent management of budgets and resources