The Government's vision is that economic development should raise the quality of life of the Scottish people through increasing economic opportunities for all, on a socially and environmentally sustainable basis. The Government Economic Strategy, published in November 2007, sets out how Scottish Ministers' intend to deliver that vision.
Scottish Ministers have devolved powers over key long-term determinants of growth, in areas such as education, transport, health and economic development. Improving Scotland's economic performance is crucial to Scottish Ministers' wider ambitions for Scotland.
Information that is available includes:
- The Government Economic Strategy.
- Scottish Economic Statistics - a compendium of official statistics on Scotland's economy published over the previous year.
Economic Pocket Databank - This publication is a summary of the key statistics on Scotland's economy. It contains information on the Scottish Labour Market, GDP, and other main economic indicators, including comparisons to the UK and other countries.
- Minutes and Annual Report of the meetings of the Council of Economic Advisers, which advises the First Minister on ways of improving economic growth.
- Government Expenditure and Revenue in Scotland which provides an analysis of public finances in Scotland, estimating expenditure, revenue and net borrowing.
- National Economic Forum - brings together senior figures and thought leaders in business, trade unions, government, the wider public sector, and the 3rd sector, as an important aspect of the Government's strategy to achieve transformational change and higher sustainable economic growth throughout Scotland. It meets twice a year and information about its meetings is published on the Economy web pages.
Economic statistics available include:
- Scottish Gross Value Added (i.e. Gross Domestic Product, GDP, at basic prices)
- Scottish Index of Manufactured Exports
- Scottish Input-Output Tables and Multipliers
- Global Connections Survey
Related information is available elsewhere on the Scottish Government website on areas such as: income and poverty; the labour market; and business and industry.
Enquiries on economic statistics unavailable on the Scottish Government website should be directed to - email: email@example.com or telephone: 0131 244 2234.
Where the information within this class can be located
This class of information can be located within the ' Economy' section of the Scottish Government website or through one of the alternative routes described under section 5 of this scheme.