Introduction to class
We make available a significant amount of information about the Scottish Government (see section 2 of this Scheme for a brief overview). As more fully described below, this information covers the statutory basis of the Scottish Government and the extent of its devolved powers; its current make-up and structure; its Strategic Objectives; how these are fulfilled not only through core Government activity but also through, for example, Government Agencies, the role of Scottish Government civil servants, and performance information.
Information on Government activity in relation to particular policy areas is provided under classes 5-24.
In particular, information on the following is provided:
- The powers of the Scottish Government and the legislative framework that underpins the devolution settlement, including constitutional guidance and guidance available to staff on the Scottish parliament and legislation.
- The Cabinet Secretaries and Ministers that form the Scottish Government and their areas of responsibility.
- The Purpose and Strategic Objectives of the Scottish Government.
- The membership, remit and dates of meetings of Cabinet and Cabinet sub-committees.
- The Scottish Ministerial Code (this addresses matters of conduct) and the Guide to Collective Decision Making (which explains the arrangements for supporting collective decision-making within the Scottish Government); and Key information for Ministers.
- The roles, responsibilities and members of the Strategic Board, which consists of the Permanent Secretary and 5 Directors-General.
- Minutes of meetings of the Strategic Board (these will be published 3 months in arrears).
- The organisational structure of the Scottish Government, including the names and areas of responsibility of the senior management of the Civil Service (see the "who's who" guide on the Scottish Government website).
- Ministerial Activities:
Details of guests who have accepted an invitation to attend a Ministerial hospitality event (these will be published three months in arrears).
The nature, source and estimated value of Ministerial gifts (these will be published annually).
Details of Ministerial overseas engagements can be found within the 'Government' section of the publication scheme and website.
Details about Ministerial car journeys (these will be published monthly, 6 months in arrears).
Details about Ministerial engagements (these will be published monthly, 6 months in arrears).
- A list of the current Agencies of the Scottish Government, with web links to them.
- Working arrangements that the Scottish Government has with other Administrations or organisations.
- Recruitment, including current vacancies at the Scottish Government.
- How to contact the Scottish Government including locations of the Scottish Government offices.
- Information about the services the Scottish Government provides and performance information in relation to:
Scottish Parliamentary Questions; and
Requests under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations.
- A glossary providing an explanation of key terms.
- Scotland Performs - the Scotland Performs website is a tool for communicating with the public about overall delivery of the Government's Purpose, Strategic Objectives and other aspects of the National Performance Framework (the Purpose, Purpose Targets, Strategic Objectives, National Outcomes and National Indicators). The website collates and displays a wide variety of information about all these aspects of the National Performance Framework. In the case of the Purpose Targets and National Indicators, it also shows an assessment of whether these are improving, maintaining or worsening in relation to Government's Purpose and Objectives. These assessments will be made by members of the Government's Analytic Services Group from data which is publically available in existing datasets such as the Neighbourhood Statistics and High Level Statistics. The methodologies used to decide on the direction of targets and indicators will be shown on the website.
Where the information within this class can be located
This class of information can be located within the ' About' section of the Scottish Government website or through one of the alternative routes described under section 5 of this scheme.